Established in 1921 as The Canadian School of Missions, in 2011 Canadian Churches Forum for Global Ministries celebrates its 90th anniversary.
In the early years of the 20th century the Ecumenical movement was born in the mission field. Following the Edinburgh Missionary Conference of 1910 representatives of several Canadian protestant missionary boards and theological colleges began talks that led to the establishment of the Canadian School of Missions.
Over the years its work, mandate, and role would change. These changes were reflected in its name; The Canadian School of Missions (1921), The Canadian School of Missions and Ecumenical Institute (1962), The Ecumenical Institute of Canada (1965), The Ecumenical Forum of Canada (1970’s), Canadian Churches Forum for Global Ministries (1989). Through all those changes The Canadian Churches Forum for Global Ministries has played an important role in Canada, and as is the case with so many Canadian institutions, played a role beyond its size in the global context.